Thea Bowman Institute
for Excellence and Leadership
The Thea Bowman Institute for Excellence and Leadership at vnsr威尼斯城官网登入 College is a four-year leadership development program for Black undergraduate students enrolled at vnsr威尼斯城官网登入. The Institute provides renewable full-tuition scholarships (excluding room and board expenses) to students who exhibit a strong desire to serve as leaders in their communities and who are seeking professional roles in pursuit of social change and service.
The Bowman Institute
Bowman Institute Scholars learn leadership skills that include utilizing introspective tools, taking responsibility for their choices, having cultural and social awareness, and demonstrating vnsr威尼斯城官网登入’s 8 abilities.
Using a cohort-based model, this program prepares graduates to confidently enter their chosen careers as solidly equipped change agents. To meet these outcomes, Bowman Institute Scholars:
- Focus on project-based learning.
- Attend workshops that teach them about topics such as social justice leadership.
- Interact with community and professional leaders.
- Receive academic and emotional support from the Institute’s dedicated group of mentors.
The Thea Bowman Institute honors the late Thea Bowman, FSPA, Ph.D., who gained national and international renown for her passionate advocacy for racial justice. Sister Thea was a Black Franciscan nun from Mississippi who was educated in Wisconsin. Sister Thea held a doctorate in English and served as a professor at three universities.
Becoming a Bowman Institute Scholar
You must apply and be admitted before applying to the Thea Bowman Institute.
- Complete the vnsr威尼斯城官网登入 College Admissions Application at nomrhis.net/apply.
- Submit your official high school transcript (You can use an online service such as Parchment.)
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and include vnsr威尼斯城官网登入’s code: 003832
- Complete the Institute application, which includes submission of an essay.
Bowman Institute Eligibility:
- Graduate from high school in 2023.
- Reside in Southeastern Wisconsin.
- Have a demonstrated record of academic success and high achievement goals.
- Provide clear evidence of civic and/or community engagement.
- Articulate their intended college major as well as their academic and career goals.
- Complete a successful interview with the selection committee.
It can happen for you
Download our Thea Bowman Institute information sheet to share with others.